วันศุกร์ที่ 4 มิถุนายน พ.ศ. 2553

# Big Save on Western Digital 160 GB Caviar Blue PATA 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive In Stock for sale. Fast & Free Shipping Orders N


Western Digital 160 GB Caviar Blue PATA 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive

I purchased this hard drive to replace the 60GB hard drive in my HP Pavilion 742n purchased back in 2002. There was nothing wrong with the old hard drive and it had alot of free space left. The HP system recovery is on the D partition of the hard drive, and not on seperate CD's. If the hard drive did go South, I would have to purchase another operating system. I intended to install the WD hard drive and keep the old one as a back up in the event I needed to re-install the operating system.
As stated, this is a bulk OEM package. All you get is the hard drive, no cables or attaching screws.
I've been in the computer case before to clean out the dust bunnies from the cooling fans, upgrade the memory, and replace the CD writer with a DVD burner. This seemed to be a little more involved and made me a little anxious. In the end, it turned out to be very easy.
The ribbon cable connected to the hard drive had provisions to connect two devices. The connectors were clearly marked with "primary" and "slave." I left the jumper settings on both hard drives to "cable select" and connected the WD hard drive to the "slave" connector. I did alot of research beforehand on cloning software and decided to just use the Acronis cloning software available from the WD website. The cloning software will only work if it detects a WD component. It was easy to use and pretty much self explanatory. Once the cloning was done, I removed the old hard drive and attached the WD hard drive to the primary connector.
The computer booted right up without any problems. I decided to test out the HP system recovery (pressing F10 when you see the blue HP logo) and it didn't boot into the HP system recovery. It just rebooted back to Windows.
From what I could determine, it has to do with the partition configuration, which I haven't quite figured out yet, and frankly don't have any plans to at this point.
When you do a system recovery, the computer reverts to as it was out of the box, with all the annoying programs that it came with and none of the programs you installed. I have everything set up just like I want it on the old hard drive. If anything should happen, I can just use it to re-install everything.
The hard drive is very quiet, in fact, I can't even hear it!
All in all, I think this a great product at a very reasonable price and a great way to update an older computer.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น